Requirements for Graduation
General Degree Requirements:
- Complete all general education requirements.
- Complete all requirements and performance standards for the major or area of concentration and one writing-intensive course in the major, as set forth in the catalog effective at time of matriculation. (Major requirements are presented in the catalog under the appropriate discipline.) Students may change to a subsequent catalog governing their degree requirements, but must meet all requirements of that catalog.
- Complete a minimum of 36 credits at the junior/senior level (courses numbered 300 or above).
- Degree-seeking students must earn a minimum of 32 credits in residence.
- Complete a minimum of 126 credit hours with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Thirty-two of the last 40 credits required for graduation must be taken at Whitworth.
- Complete all degree requirements within six years of matriculation.
- Students must declare their intent to graduate by completing an application for graduation by Nov. 1 of their senior year or the year prior to completing all degree requirements. In order to participate in commencement, students who will not be completing all degree requirements by the end of the spring term must submit a petition that outlines their course plan showing that all requirements will be complete by Jan. 31 of the year following commencement.
I. Requirements for Major or Area of Concentration
Complete all requirements and performance standards for the major or area of concentration and one writing-intensive course as set forth in the catalog effective at time of matriculation (major requirements are presented in the catalog under the appropriate discipline). Students may change to a subsequent catalog governing their degree requirements, but must meet all requirements of that catalog.
II. Upper-Division Requirements
Students must complete a minimum of 36 credits at the junior/senior level (courses numbered 300 or above).
At least 32 semester credits must be completed in residence at Whitworth for each program level (undergraduate or graduate) that the student pursues.
IV. Grade Point Average
A student must earn a 2.0 average in 1) all Whitworth courses and 2) all courses in the declared major or area of concentration. Education and athletic training students, see School of Education and athletic training department for GPA requirements.
V. Degree-Completion Requirements
Thirty-two of the last 40 credits needed for the degree must be taken at Whitworth. Students must complete all degree requirements within six years from the time of matriculation. Part-time students may petition this policy. Students who withdraw from Whitworth and return after an absence of more than two years must meet the graduation requirements in effect at the time of their return and must complete all degree requirements within six years of the time of their return (matriculation). Students must complete a minimum of one course if the above-mentioned requirements have been met. Additional information may be obtained from the registrar’s office.
VI. Application for Graduation
Students must apply to graduate by Nov. 1 in the fall semester of their senior year. Application for Graduation forms are available on WhitNet and in the registrar’s office. If the possibility exists that a student's requirements will not be completed by the end of spring semester, the student must submit a petition that outlines his or her course plan and shows that all requirements will be complete by Jan. 31 of the year following commencement in order to participate in the May ceremony.
Students who are unable for any reason to complete their degree requirements by their anticipated graduation date must complete a second Application for Graduation if all their degree requirements are not met within one year of their original anticipated graduation date.
Detailed graduation information will be sent to all students who have applied to graduate.
A student may graduate with more than one major if all requirements are met for each major. Some departments restrict double majors within their department. Talk with your advisor regarding your department's policy.
Requirements for a Second Baccalaureate Degree
A Whitworth graduate seeking a second bachelor’s degree must meet the major requirements of a second major, satisfy the general education requirements (under the DTA agreement) in place at the time the second degree is initiated, and complete 30 credits of work beyond the first degree. A second degree will not be awarded unless the graduate re-enrolls at Whitworth and completes a minimum of one course (if the above-mentioned requirements have been met). A Whitworth student seeking a second baccalaureate degree must seek the approval of his/her advisor and the registrar.
A student with a bachelor’s degree from another institution who pursues a B.A. or B.S. at Whitworth will be expected to meet all the major and degree requirements, including the residency requirement (32 credits), and the general education requirements (under the DTA agreement) in place at the time the second degree is initiated; s/he must also receive a degree in a field other than that of the first degree.