The aquatics center features a 40-yard lap pool with a bulkhead dividing the shallow and deep ends. The shallow end is accessible by a ramp for entry. The movable bulkhead provides participants with the freedom to adapt to either a 25-meter short course or a 25-yard-course competition pool. The pool’s temperature is maintained at 80-82 degrees during the varsity swim team season; this is an ideal temperature for a workout facility. Our pool is available to the community for a variety of fitness, water-safety and learn-to-swim programs.
The Sara Miller Auld House is home to Whitworth’s human resource services and payroll offices. Built around 1914, the house was originally the home of Sara Miller Auld, the daughter of a tenant farmer employed by Jay P. Graves, who donated the land for Whitworth’s Spokane site. Auld was a 1925 graduate of Whitworth. The university bought Auld House in 1988 and converted it into offices.
HARRIET CHENEY COWLES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Originally constructed in 1948 in memory of the wife of Spokane newspaper publisher William H. Cowles, Sr., the library was expanded in 1969 and again in 1993, when it not only doubled in size but was positioned to embrace the age of digital information. While physical holdings comprise more than 260,000 books, periodical volumes, audiovisual media, etc., plus extensive archival collections, the library serves also as gateway to immense “virtual collections” accessible online, and to other information resources beyond its walls via interlibrary loan. Three computer labs, along with multiple computer stations for student use, are located in the building, which is also home to the departments of instructional resources and information systems, the instructional technology and media services center, and Whitworth’s Composition Commons, previously known as the Whitworth Writing Center. The library recently added the Orbis Cascade Alliance, the Northwest's preeminent library consortium, to its digital toolbox.
COWLES MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM
Named in honor of Spokane publisher William H. Cowles, Sr., the auditorium, which was constructed in 1955 and refurbished in 1995, seats 1,158 people. Lectures, theatre, ballet, music performances, and other events take place in the auditorium throughout the year. The theatre department’s offices are also located in Cowles.
COWLES MUSIC CENTER
The Cowles Music Center, a 37,000-square-foot expanded and renovated facility opening in fall 2016, will feature new rehearsal spaces for choral and instrumental ensembles, teaching studios, practice rooms, and faculty offices for the music program.
Constructed in 1955 and remodeled in 2000, Dixon Hall is named in memory of Grant Dixon, Sr., a Whitworth trustee from 1940-49. It serves as one of the primary classroom buildings on campus. Offices for the Whitworth School of Education, graduate studies in education, and the psychology department are located here.
Constructed in the mid-1940s with additions in 1950 and 1956, the facilities services building houses a connected boiler room, shop room, HVAC and electrical shop, carpenter shop, paint shop and general trades shop.
A gift from C. Davis Weyerhaeuser, a university trustee from 1941 until his death in 1999, the fieldhouse was built in 1962. Facilities include a portable wood floor for basketball and volleyball, batting and pitching cages, a ballet loft, and indoor track-and-field facilities. The Dr. James P. Evans Athletic Training Center, including offices of the athletic training program and athletic training facilities, is also located in the fieldhouse.
Graves Gymnasium is named in honor of Spokane realtor J. P. Graves, a trustee of Whitworth from 1914-18, who donated the land on which Whitworth now stands. Graves Gym serves as the practice facility for men’s and women’s varsity basketball and volleyball. Kinesiology & athletics classes and many intramural activities take place in Graves; many of the Pirates’ coaches’ offices are also located here.
Located at the intersection of Whitworth Drive and Hawthorne Road, Hardwick House, named for Francis T. Hardwick, the late dean of students and interim president of Whitworth from 1938-40, was renovated and re-landscaped in 2013 to be used as Whitworth’s alumni headquarters. Five alumni and annual-giving staffers are currently housed in the building, which has a cozy, homelike atmosphere where alums and other Whitworth visitors can rest and chat for a few minutes.
Purchased in 1998, this former elementary school features seven classrooms and two computer labs. It also houses the offices of continuing studies, institutional advancement, university communications, The Whitworth Foundation, and The Whitworth Fund.
EILEEN HENDRICK HALL
For many years, this structure, completed in 1975, housed the offices of the student life division. It was remodeled in 1997 for classroom use and is currently home to the Whitworth International and Intercultural Student Affairs Office, the Whitworth International Education Center, and off-campus studies.
HIXSON UNION BUILDING
The Hixson Union Building was dedicated in 1998 in gratitude to Christina Hixson and the Ernst F. Lied Foundation Trust for supporting the construction of this beautiful student center, which stands on the site of the old Hardwick Union Building. Located in this building are the campus bookstore, the post office, several cafés, the dining hall complex, the Mind & Hearth Coffee House, lounge areas, a game room, the Whitworthian (campus newspaper) and Natsihi (yearbook) offices, and the studio for Whitworth’s online radio station. The HUB also includes offices for the Associated Students of Whitworth University, various student organizations, the dean of students, student employment, educational support services, career services and residence life, as well as the learning resource center and a number of meeting rooms.
ERIC JOHNSTON SCIENCE CENTER
Constructed in 1967, the science center was a gift from the Eric Johnston Foundation. Under a grant from the National Science Foundation, this facility was extensively renovated in 1998-99. The science center is home to the physics and math/computer science departments, as well as classrooms, labs, two greenhouses, and a recently renovated auditorium and lecture hall.
LIED CENTER FOR THE VISUAL ARTS
The Ernst F. Lied Center, Whitworth’s 20,000-square-foot visual-arts building, opened in 2008. In addition to large, well-lit teaching studios for ceramics and sculpture, drawing, mixed media, painting and printmaking, the building features a computer graphics laboratory, two galleries, and interior view corridors as well as exterior views to the center of campus and toward the mountains to the north.
Constructed in 1946 and remodeled in 1980, 2004 and 2013, the Lindaman Center bears the name of Edward B. Lindaman, Whitworth president from 1970-80. The departments of communication studies, philosophy, and sociology are housed in this building, as is the Whitworth Student Success Center.
This house, the onetime home of Rev. Donald D. MacKay, a former Whitworth dean, president (1911-17) and chairman of the board of trustees (1914-17), is now home to the office of admissions.
Constructed in 1952 and named in honor of the late Whitworth Board of Trustees Chair W.L. McEachran, who served from 1923-59, this facility houses the administrative offices of the president, academic affairs, business affairs, the registrar, student-accounting services, and financial aid.
SEELEY G. MUDD CHAPEL
Constructed in 1979, the chapel was donated by the Seeley G. Mudd Foundation in recognition of Whitworth’s commitment to the integration of faith and learning. The chaplain’s staff offers Tuesday- and Thursday-morning worship services, Tuesday-evening and Wednesday-evening (respectively) student-led Hosanna and AWAKE services, morning prayer services, and other services as requested by the university and community.
Located at the southwest corner of the Whitworth campus, Omache Field opened in fall 2007 and is used for recreational activities and intramural sports. The field, seeded with athletic turf, covers 120,000 square feet and includes a 240-foot-by-400-foot playing area for Ultimate Frisbee, soccer, flag football and other intramural sports and recreational events. Omache Field was named in honor of the generations of students and alumni from the Okanogan Valley who have attended Whitworth; the valley was known as Omache by the Okanogan Indians.
Whitworth’s football and soccer teams practice and play home games here. In 1994, an all-weather track and other improvements were added. Boppell Memorial Track is named in honor of the parents of former chairman of the Whitworth Board of Trustees Charles L. (Chuck) Boppell, ’65.
WILLIAM P. AND BONNIE V. ROBINSON SCIENCE HALL
Robinson Science Hall, named for one of Whitworth’s most popular and long-serving presidents (1993-2010) and his wife, is the largest, most ambitious academic facility in Whitworth’s history. The three-story, 63,000-square-foot building on the site of the former fine arts building (Whitworth’s original science building) implemented many sustainable practices in its construction and maintains these in its operation. The building provides optimum classroom and lab space for Whitworth’s biology and chemistry students.
Schumacher Hall, which has served as both a residence hall and home to the university communications office, now houses the Whitworth Health & Counseling Services Center.
THE SCOTFORD STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING CENTER
Constructed in 2000, this 4,200-square-foot facility, named for alumnus and longtime trustee John Scotford, ’51, and his late wife, Judy, provides state-of-the-art strength and conditioning equipment and programs for Whitworth’s varsity athletics teams.
THE SCOTFORD TENNIS CENTER
The tennis center, also named for the Scotfords, includes Cutter Tennis Courts, opened in 2005 and named for Whitworth Professor Emeritus A. Ross Cutter, Jr. The center includes three outdoor courts and three all-weather courts inside an inflatable tennis bubble.
Purchased in 2009 and converted from a retirement home to student housing, Tacoma (formerly Cornerstone) Hall is now the home of the Whitworth Marriage & Family Clinic, a program of the Whitworth School of Education. The hall, which also includes rehearsal space for Whitworth's dance program, was remodeled in 2015 and renamed in honor of Whitworth's former location, in Western Washington.
UNIVERSITY RECREATION CENTER (U-Rec)
The Whitworth University Recreation Center provides an on-campus facility where the Whitworth community can pursue physical fitness and wellness. The facility includes circuit training, cardiovascular and powerlifting stations, an indoor track, a climbing wall, a bouldering area, and a three-court gymnasium equipped for volleyball, badminton, pickleball and basketball. Dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, benches, and a variety of sporting equipment are also available. The U-Rec is accessible to all current Whitworth students as well as to faculty and staff; the facility also hosts the university’s outdoor recreation and intramurals programs.
Constructed in 1946 and remodeled in 2008-09, Westminster is home to the department offices for English, world languages & cultures, theology, and kinesiology & athletics, as well as to the athletic training education program and six classrooms.
THE WESTSIDE ATHLETICS COMPLEX
This facility includes Diana Marks Softball Field and a complete men’s and women’s soccer facility. The fields feature state-of-the-art scoreboards and a shared press box.
In addition to housing seven classrooms, two computer labs, the Robinson Teaching Theatre and a conference room, this 33,000-square-foot facility is home to the Whitworth School of Business and the departments of economics & business and history. Constructed in 2004, it is also a vital contact point between Whitworth and the larger community through the work of the Weyerhaeuser Center for Christian Faith & Learning, the Regional Resource & Learning Center, and the Dornsife Center for Community Engagement.